The River Newsroom is seeking a managing editor to oversee our coverage of news and issues in the Hudson Valley. We’re looking for an ambitious and organized local-journalism evangelist who can create and implement coverage strategies, assign and edit stories, pitch in on growth and development initiatives, and report and write the occasional story. Most of all, we want someone who is excited about our mission: to provide a regional lens on topics of national importance. This is an opportunity to lead a growing, hard-hitting digital publication that does deep and rigorous journalism across a large and diverse region.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Oversee the editorial calendar to ensure a consistent flow of stories. The River is not deadline-driven, but we want to publish at least two stories per week.
- Generate story ideas informed by current issues across our topics of coverage: climate, politics, education, health, the economy, housing, and social justice.
- Assign stories to a small team of staff and freelance writers, seeing the process through from the workshopping stage to line editing, production, and publishing.
- Produce our weekly editorial newsletter, published on Friday mornings.
- Occasionally report and write your own stories.
- Contribute to development and fundraising initiatives, including helping to generate and execute quarterly events.
- Manage The River’s Instagram account.
- Supervise interns (when there is one).
- Set the editorial tone and ensure The River is always striving to fulfill its mission.
The ideal candidate would have:
- The ability to see and understand a larger editorial vision while managing the day-to-day tasks of running an editorial operation in support of that vision.
- Excellent editing chops, particularly within the deep-dive and feature reporting that The River specializes in.
- Good organizational skills to ensure the editorial calendar runs smoothly and that freelancers get paid on time.
- The ability to spot stories and generate ideas, with an eye toward geographic and topical diversity.
- A willingness to build strong working relationships with freelance writers.
- Familiarity with the issues we cover.
- Familiarity with the Hudson Valley media landscape.
This is a part-time position with a starting salary of $52,000, plus benefits. It can be remote or based in our beautiful office in midtown Kingston, but all candidates should live in the region.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and clips to email@example.com with APPLICATION in the subject line. In the cover letter, please explain why you want to work at The River, how you could help improve our journalism, and your editorial values.
We are committed to building an inclusive workspace, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color who are excited about contributing to our mission.
Consistent with federal, state, and local law, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.
About The River Newsroom
The River Newsroom is an independent, digital-first newsmagazine that seeks to provide a regional lens on issues of national importance by producing in-depth, quality journalism and analysis for the Hudson Valley and Catskills regions. We are published by Chronogram Media. Our reporting has influenced policy, been referenced in legislature and council hearings, and been cited by local and state-level publications.
Write for Us
We are always looking for new contributors and ideas. Have a pitch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with PITCH in the subject line.
All pitches need to cover an issue set in or relevant to the Hudson Valley or Catskills. We have six coverage areas: health, education, economy/housing, social justice, politics, and environment. We are interested in reported pieces on subjects that fall within those categories, broadly defined.